Telangana MP, MLAs sent to jail
Hyderabad: An MP and two Andhra Pradesh legislators from Telangana were on Sunday sent to jail for participating in `rail blockade`, which entered the second day today across the region, police said.
A railway court in Secunderabad sent Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) MP Vijayshanti and eight others to judicial custody till October 22. They were shifted to Chanchalguda Central Jail. They were arrested on Saturday while protesting here on the railway tracks.
Congress MP S Rajaiah in Warangal district remained in police custody and is likely to be produced before a magistrate later in the day.
Congress MP from Peddapalli in Karimnagar district G Vivek and 16 others were released on bail.
MP from Karimnagar Ponnam Prabhakar and former state minister Jeevan Reddy were on Saturday night remanded to judicial custody for two weeks.
TRS legislators Harish Rao and E. Rajender were among those sent to jail for participating in `rail roko`.
TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao`s son, legislator K Taraka Rama Rao and daughter K Kavita were released on bail along with 13 others.
After his release, Vivek alleged that Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy was acting with vendetta against Telangana MPs. He said false cases and arrests cannot silence the Telangana movement.
Police arrested over 3,000 protesters including MPs and legislators in Telangana on Saturday on the first day of the blockade called by Joint Action Committee (JAC) to press the demand for separate Telangana state.
Protesting the large-scale arrests and `repressive measures` by the government, JAC on Saturday night called for Telangana shutdown on Monday.
Meanwhile, police in Ramagundam town of Karimnagar district on Sunday booked a case against Chandrasekhara Rao, JAC convenor M Kodandaram, BJP leader Vidyasagar Rao and Telangana employees` leader Swami Goud for inciting the protesters.
A case against TRS and JAC leaders was registered at a police station in Nizamabad district on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch