Telangana: PM tries to soothe Cong leaders
New Delhi: Stepping in to defuse the Telangana
crisis, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday said he understands the separate statehood demand and gave an assurance that the Centre will make all efforts to find a solution to the contentious issue soon.
Meeting a delegation of Congress leaders from
agitation-hit Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh, Singh also
told them that he would talk to Congress President Sonia
Gandhi in this regard and put all their demands before the
party`s Core Committee.
As the general strike in Telangana entered its 22nd day,
the leaders, including senior Minister J Geetha Reddy and K
Jana Reddy, briefed Singh about the situation in the region and the "urgent need" for Centre`s intervention as people were not in a "mood even to celebrate upcoming festivals".
The delegation that included Ministers, MPs and an MLC
told the Prime Minister that the Centre should announce a
"time-frame" for taking a decision on the separate issue as
"time is running out."
"We briefed the Prime Minister of what is happening in
Andhra Pradesh, in Telangana region. He knows the Telangana
issue and the problems. We briefed him in detail about the
strike that is being supported by every section of the
society," Geetha Reddy told reporters after the 30-minute
meeting at the PM`s 7, Race Course Road Residence.
"He expressed his understanding and sympathies to us. He
said we need to solve the problem. He also told us that we
will try to solve it as soon as possible," Geetha Reddy said.
The leaders told Singh that they would assure that the
safety and security of people of non-Telangana regions in
Hyderabad would be protected if a separate Telangana state is
They also asked Singh to advice Andhra Pradesh Chief
Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy not to show "apathy" towards the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees