Telangana protesters torch buses, railway counter
Hyderabad: The ongoing movement for a separate Telangana state appears to be taking a violent turn with suspected protesters allegedly setting afire two private buses and the booking counter of a railway station in separate incidents in Andhra Pradesh, police said.
One Volvo bus was completely destroyed after it was torched by unidentified people around 1.00 am on Wednesday near Jamia Osmania railway station here, they said.
The vehicle belonging to a private operator used to carry employees of a software company, the bus driver said.
In another incident around the same time, suspected Telangana activists set afire a booking counter of Sitaphalmandi railway station. The attackers fled before police reached the scene.
Both the attacks were carried out near Osmania University, which has been witnessing massive protests by students for separate Telangana state. The protesters had earlier targeted Jamia Osmania railway station.
In another incident, unidentified people torched a private bus in Nalgonda district after forcing the passengers to get down. The bus was going to Vijayawada from Hyderabad.
Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), which is spearheading the movement, has already threatened to stop buses being plied between Hyderabad and Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and Andhra regions).
JAC leaders had warned the government that if the buses were not stopped from plying, they would not be responsible for the consequences.
State-owned Road Transport Corporation (RTC) buses have remained off the roads in Telangana for 10 days as RTC employees joined the general strike for separate state.
However, JAC alleged that authorities were still operating buses between Hyderabad and Seemandhra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead