Telangana protests mark Andhra Formation Day
Hyderabad: Amid protests by Telangana supporters in the region, the Andhra Pradesh Formation Day was being celebrated across the state on Thursday.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy unfurled the National Flag and presided over the main function organised at the NTR stadium here this morning.
Highlighting the numerous welfare schemes being implemented by his government, he said the endeavour is to eliminate poverty and ensure progress in all spheres.
Holding that the government is farmer-friendly, Reddy said a number of measures like providing free power to a record 32 lakh agriculture connections, enhancing MSP to Rs 1500 per quintal for paddy have been taken.
Referring to the ongoing power crisis in the state, he said the power shortage is due to the fall in gas supply in KG-D6 gas field, unavailability of water in reservoirs and also corridor for purchasing power.
Noting that two lakh jobs have been provided under the flagship `Rajiv Yuvakiranalu` employment scheme, he said another 3.60 lakh jobs are being provided this year.
Other major welfare programmes of the government include interest-free loans to self-help group women, increasing quota for women to 50 percent in local body polls, implementation of sub-plan for SC/STs among others, he said.
The government would not compromise on the law and order front, Reddy asserted.
Meanwhile, Telangana supporters, who have given a call to observe the day as `black day`, hoisted black flags in the region and organised protests.
Alleging that injustice has been meted out to Telangana on all fronts in united Andhra Pradesh, TRS and other pro-Telangana outfits observe the day as "betrayal day".
Security personnel stopped the pro-Telangana students in the Osmania University when they tried to take out a rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city