Telangana protests mark Andhra Formation Day
Hyderabad: Amid protests by Telangana supporters in the region, the Andhra Pradesh Formation Day was being celebrated across the state on Thursday.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy unfurled the National Flag and presided over the main function organised at the NTR stadium here this morning.
Highlighting the numerous welfare schemes being implemented by his government, he said the endeavour is to eliminate poverty and ensure progress in all spheres.
Holding that the government is farmer-friendly, Reddy said a number of measures like providing free power to a record 32 lakh agriculture connections, enhancing MSP to Rs 1500 per quintal for paddy have been taken.
Referring to the ongoing power crisis in the state, he said the power shortage is due to the fall in gas supply in KG-D6 gas field, unavailability of water in reservoirs and also corridor for purchasing power.
Noting that two lakh jobs have been provided under the flagship `Rajiv Yuvakiranalu` employment scheme, he said another 3.60 lakh jobs are being provided this year.
Other major welfare programmes of the government include interest-free loans to self-help group women, increasing quota for women to 50 percent in local body polls, implementation of sub-plan for SC/STs among others, he said.
The government would not compromise on the law and order front, Reddy asserted.
Meanwhile, Telangana supporters, who have given a call to observe the day as `black day`, hoisted black flags in the region and organised protests.
Alleging that injustice has been meted out to Telangana on all fronts in united Andhra Pradesh, TRS and other pro-Telangana outfits observe the day as "betrayal day".
Security personnel stopped the pro-Telangana students in the Osmania University when they tried to take out a rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview