Telangana row: `File cheat case against Chidambaram, Shinde`
New Delhi/Hyderabad: In a major embarrassment to the Congress government at the Centre, a court in Andhra Pradesh on Monday directed the state police to register a case against two UPA ministers for giving false assurances to the people of Telangana on the issue of its statehood.
According to reports, the order was passed by the Rangareddy District Court in response to a petition filed by Andhra Pradesh Junior Advocates Association against former Home Minister P Chidambaram and incumbent Sushilkumar Shinde for delaying a decision on Telanagana.
The court then allowed the police to file a case against the two senior UPA ministers and congress party leaders under Section 420 of the IPC for false commitment over Telangana state declaration.
The court’s order is big jolt for the ruling Congress government both in the state and at the Centre, which has repeatedly assured a quick fix on the Telangana issue.
The court ruling also comes on a day when mass protests are being held in parts of Andhra Pradesh by the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), which has threatened to intensify the stir for a separate state after Centre deferred a decision on Telangana.
The pro-Telanaga groups have termed the Centre’s move as a ‘big betrayal’ and decided to launch an agitation targeting Congress ministers, MPs and state legislators in the region.
TRS leader K Tarakarama Rao demanded resignation of all Congress MPs and ministers to pressurise the Centre to concede their demand.
Leaders of Telangana Joint Action Committee, which launched two-day protest here on Sunday, BJP, CPI and the Telangana leaders of TDP condemned the statements of Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad.
Shinde, who had said after all-party meeting on December 28 that the government will decide on the issue within a month, stated in Delhi on Sunday evening that it needs more time.
He said the consultations on the issue were on.
Earlier in the day, Azad told reporters that more consultations were needed on the issue. He said the party would consult Chief Minister, state party chief and leaders from all three regions of the state. He also made it clear that no deadline was set for completing the consultations.
There were mixed reactions to their statements from the Congress leaders in Telangana. Some MPs said they were disappointed but hoped that the Centre would soon take a positive decision.
State minister K Jana Reddy was hopeful that despite the delay, Congress would take a decision in tune with the aspirations of the people of Telangana.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah