Telangana row: `File cheat case against Chidambaram, Shinde`
New Delhi/Hyderabad: In a major embarrassment to the Congress government at the Centre, a court in Andhra Pradesh on Monday directed the state police to register a case against two UPA ministers for giving false assurances to the people of Telangana on the issue of its statehood.
According to reports, the order was passed by the Rangareddy District Court in response to a petition filed by Andhra Pradesh Junior Advocates Association against former Home Minister P Chidambaram and incumbent Sushilkumar Shinde for delaying a decision on Telanagana.
The court then allowed the police to file a case against the two senior UPA ministers and congress party leaders under Section 420 of the IPC for false commitment over Telangana state declaration.
The court’s order is big jolt for the ruling Congress government both in the state and at the Centre, which has repeatedly assured a quick fix on the Telangana issue.
The court ruling also comes on a day when mass protests are being held in parts of Andhra Pradesh by the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), which has threatened to intensify the stir for a separate state after Centre deferred a decision on Telangana.
The pro-Telanaga groups have termed the Centre’s move as a ‘big betrayal’ and decided to launch an agitation targeting Congress ministers, MPs and state legislators in the region.
TRS leader K Tarakarama Rao demanded resignation of all Congress MPs and ministers to pressurise the Centre to concede their demand.
Leaders of Telangana Joint Action Committee, which launched two-day protest here on Sunday, BJP, CPI and the Telangana leaders of TDP condemned the statements of Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad.
Shinde, who had said after all-party meeting on December 28 that the government will decide on the issue within a month, stated in Delhi on Sunday evening that it needs more time.
He said the consultations on the issue were on.
Earlier in the day, Azad told reporters that more consultations were needed on the issue. He said the party would consult Chief Minister, state party chief and leaders from all three regions of the state. He also made it clear that no deadline was set for completing the consultations.
There were mixed reactions to their statements from the Congress leaders in Telangana. Some MPs said they were disappointed but hoped that the Centre would soon take a positive decision.
State minister K Jana Reddy was hopeful that despite the delay, Congress would take a decision in tune with the aspirations of the people of Telangana.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered