Telangana row: Jagan Mohan Reddy in custody, taken to hospital
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Hyderabad: YSR Congress Chief Jagan Mohan Reddy on Wednesday night was taken into preventive custody by the police and taken to hospital on the fifth day of his indefinite fast against the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh. Jagan has been shifted to Nizam`s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS) in Hyderabad afer being evicted from the fast venue.
Protesting against the division, Jagan demanded the Centre to withdraw its decision to carve out a separate state.
Jagan said that the state can`t be divided without resolution being passed in the Assembly.
As the indefinite fast entered the fifth day today, YSRCP senior leader Konatala Ramakrishna told reporters that Jagan Reddy`s sugar was falling and doctors had strongly advised him to withdraw the fast.
Condemning the arrest, YSR Congress said that their cause is bigger than Jagan`s health. YSR Congress leader DA Somayajulu said that the agitation will continue without Jagan.
Jagan’s mother YS Vijayamma earlier in the day met President Pranab Mukherjee and urged him to keep Andhra Pradesh united.
Vijayamma along with other party leaders also met BJP President Rajnath Singh on Wednesday and sought party`s support on united Andhra.
Since the agitation, the Seemandhra region has been witnessing violent protests and with electricity distribution and supply companies employees on strike, there has been complete blackout in various parts of Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez