Telangana row: Jaganmohan Reddy`s indefinite fast continues for second day
Hyderabad: The indefinite fast launched by jailed YSR Congress president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy to protest the decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh, entered the second day on Monday.
However, prison authorities maintained that they had no official information from Jagan about the fast.
"He (Jagan) has not given us any representation on his fast. He is under doctors` observation. As of now, his pulse rate, glucose levels and blood pressure are normal," Chanchalguda jail superintendent B Saidaiah said.
When asked about the future course of action, the prison official said it depends on the doctors` advice.
YSR Congress honorary president Y S Vijayamma, who had called off her indefinite fast on August 24 opposing proposed bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh after she was forcibly shifted to a hospital in Guntur, had announced that her son and jailed Kadapa MP Jaganmohan Reddy would go on an indefinite fast seeking "justice for Seemandhra people."
As a precautionary measure, security was beefed up around Chanchalguda central prison with deployment of additional personnel from city police and also para-military forces, besides the routes leading to jail were barricaded with barbed wires, another senior police official said.
Meanwhile, a CBI special court here today extended the judicial remand of the YSR Congress president and other accused in the case pertaining to `quid pro quo` deals till September 6.
The case relates to alleged investments made by private firms and individual investors in Jagan`s companies as a quid pro quo for government favours when his father, late YS Rajasekhara Reddy, was Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister.
Jagan and other accused, including his auditor V Vijay Sai Reddy, former minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao, industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad and bureaucrat K V Brahmananda Reddy, all lodged in Chanchalguda Central Prison here, took part in remand proceedings through video conference.
Jagan was arrested by the CBI on May 27 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'