Telangana row: Protests continue unabated in Seemandhra region
Hyderabad: Protests continued across Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions on Sunday against the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh.
Supporters of united Andhra Pradesh continued to organise different forms of agitations like rallies, sit-ins, fasts, water satyagrahas demanding that the state be kept united.
YSR Congress Party said its president Jaganmohan Reddy began an indefinite fast at the Chanchalguda jail here demanding the Centre "maintain the status quo in Andhra Pradesh if it cannot do justice to all regions" in the light of proposed division of the state.
"He (Jagan) has not given us any representation on his fast. He has to give in writing and inform, but so far there is no intimation," Chanchalguda jail officials said.
TDP MPs from Seemandhra regions, who have been raising the issue in Parliament for several days now, are likely to undertake a fast in Delhi soon.
The agitators demanded that Union ministers from the Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions quit their posts in support of united Andhra Pradesh cause.
Meanwhile, protests continued in Kadapa district on the 26th day with district officials joining the stir thus virtually paralysing the administration.
The non-gazetted government officers (APNGOs) Association, which is spearheading the protests, has also been joined by state-run APSRTC, teachers, court employees among others.
Relay hunger strikes were held at around forty places in the district.
Police today broke-off indefinite fast of YSR Congress leaders in Kadapa, who have been on hunger strike since August 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video