Telangana shutdown: Tension in Osmania University
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed at Osmania University here on Tuesday as police lobbed teargas shells to disperse students who tried to take out a rally supporting the 48-hour Telangana shutdown.
Students began a rally from Arts College but were stopped by police at NCC Gate in view of ban orders in the city. The shutdown has been called by the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC).
Students pelted stones and clashed with policemen, including paramilitary Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel.
Another group of students tried to march towards Tarnaka Gate but were stopped by police. Raising slogans of `Jai Telangana` and demanding resignation of all MPs and legislators from the region, the students tried to take out a rally.
Police also arrested Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leaders N Janardhan Reddy and Harishwar Reddy at the gate when they tried to enter the campus to express solidarity with a group of students who were on fast for the last six days.
After a gap of four months, student protests have returned to Osmania University, which was the nerve centre of Telangana agitation since November 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal