Telangana shutdown: Tension in Osmania University
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed at Osmania University here on Tuesday as police lobbed teargas shells to disperse students who tried to take out a rally supporting the 48-hour Telangana shutdown.
Students began a rally from Arts College but were stopped by police at NCC Gate in view of ban orders in the city. The shutdown has been called by the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC).
Students pelted stones and clashed with policemen, including paramilitary Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel.
Another group of students tried to march towards Tarnaka Gate but were stopped by police. Raising slogans of `Jai Telangana` and demanding resignation of all MPs and legislators from the region, the students tried to take out a rally.
Police also arrested Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leaders N Janardhan Reddy and Harishwar Reddy at the gate when they tried to enter the campus to express solidarity with a group of students who were on fast for the last six days.
After a gap of four months, student protests have returned to Osmania University, which was the nerve centre of Telangana agitation since November 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi