Telangana statehood row: Jagan Reddy refuses to take food in Chanchalguda prison
Hyderabad: Jailed YSR Congress president YS Jaganmohan Reddy on Sunday refused to take food during lunch and dinner which was served to him at the Chanchalguda Central Prison following his announcement to launch an indefinite fast to protest the move to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.
However, jail authorities said that they did not get any information from Jagan about his fasting.
"He (Jagan) has not given us any representation on his fast. He has to give in writing and inform, but so far there is no intimation," Chanchalguda jail superintendent B Saidaiah said.
"There is no written communication/letter informing the authorities on which grounds he was resorting to the hunger strike," Saidaiah said adding the Kadapa MP, however, refused to take his breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Resorting to fast by a prisoner is a prison offence as per the state Prison Rules and this matter will be dealt according to the jail manual, he said.
The action likely to be initiated against Jagan includes reduced number of visits by his kin and party colleagues.
YSR Congress honorary president Y S Vijayamma, who had yesterday called off her indefinite fast opposing proposed bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh after she was forcibly shifted to a hospital in Guntur, had announced that her son and jailed Kadapa MP Jaganmohan Reddy will go on an indefinite fast seeking "justice for Seemandhra people."
As a precautionary measure, security was beefed up around Chanchalguda central prison with deployment of additional personnel from city police and also para-military forces besides the routes leading to jail were barricaded with barbed wires, another senior police official said.
Jaganmohan Reddy has been lodged in Chanchalguda jail since May 27 last year after his arrest by CBI on corruption charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!