‘Telangana stir led to increase in crime cases’
Hyderabad: The number of reported crime
cases in Andhra Pradesh increased by 5.88 per cent till
November this year as compared to last year on account of the
separate and unified statehood agitations, a top police
officer said here on Friday.
"With protests for and against (over bifurcation of
Andhra Pradesh)...the total cognisable crime up to November
2011 has increased by 5.88 per cent as against the same period
last year. Nearly 1.64 lakh cognisable crimes were reported
up to November this year when compared to 1.55 lakh cases in
2010 during the same period," Andhra Pradesh Director General
of Police V Dinesh Reddy told at a press conference.
Cases of murders, rioting, rape, dacoities, thefts,
robberies and burglaries went up, though kidnapping and
cheating cases fell, the DGP said, adding that the overall
crime situation in Andhra Pradesh was under control.
Despite a series of protests at different places, the
state police was able to effectively tackle the agitators,
Police showed restrain and intervened and used force only
when the agitators resorted to violence, he said.
Referring to new initiatives, Reddy said police will use
UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) for its anti-Naxal operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Vehicles near Ice House Police Station set on fire; Tamil Nadu govt to table bill on bull-taming sport at 5 pm
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog