Telangana supporters hail nod for new state; YSR Congress unhappy
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress leaders from Telangana and other statehood supporters on Thursday welcomed the Union Cabinet clearing a bill for formation of separate Telangana having 10 districts.
However, YSR Congress Party (YSRCP), a strong votary of united Andhra Pradesh, assailed the decision and called for a bandh tomorrow.
"We thank Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and senior AICC leaders for this great decision. Telangana should stand by Congress," Andhra Pradesh Panchayat Raj Minister K Jana Reddy told reporters here tonight, flanked by several other Ministers from the region.
Alleging that TRS and TDP tried to target Congress in the last few days over the issue (amid reports of Rayala- Telangana), he said the credibility of Congress stands enhanced with today`s decision.
Other Telangana supporters celebrated the Cabinet decision at different places in the region.
Meanwhile, YSR Congress President YS Jaganmohan Reddy, who has been campaigning in support of united Andhra Pradesh, described the move as "a step towards state`s destruction" and asked the people to observe a bandh in Seemandhra tomorrow.
The Union Cabinet tonight gave the go-ahead for the creation of a 10-district Telangana and outlined the blueprint for carving out the country`s 29th state from the current Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof