Telangana: Vizianagaram peaceful; curfew relaxed for 14 hrs
Visakhapatnam: In view of peaceful situation in the trouble-hit Vizianagaram town, authorities on Sunday relaxed curfew for 14 hours for the convenience of people.
With no fresh violence during the last five to six days, it has been decided to relax the curfew for 14 hours today from 6 AM to 8 PM, Vizianagaram District Collector Kantilal Dande told a news agency.
Curfew was clamped in Vizianagaram town on October 5 night in the wake of large-scale violence by anti-bifurcation agitators, following Union Cabinet`s approval to create separate Telangana state out of Andhra Pradesh.
In view of the present peaceful situation, the curfew may be totally lifted from tomorrow, Dande said, adding that it will be decided after a review meeting with concerned officials this evening.
District Superintendent of Police Kartikeya said though the curfew is lifted for 14 hours today, section 144 of CrPc will continue to be in force during the relaxation period.
He said around 500 people involved in violent activities were taken into custody.
Police sources said everything was under control with police and paramilitary personnel, including members of the Rapid Action Force, continuing to patrol the trouble-hit city.
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?