Telangana: Vizianagaram peaceful; curfew relaxed for 14 hrs
Visakhapatnam: In view of peaceful situation in the trouble-hit Vizianagaram town, authorities on Sunday relaxed curfew for 14 hours for the convenience of people.
With no fresh violence during the last five to six days, it has been decided to relax the curfew for 14 hours today from 6 AM to 8 PM, Vizianagaram District Collector Kantilal Dande told a news agency.
Curfew was clamped in Vizianagaram town on October 5 night in the wake of large-scale violence by anti-bifurcation agitators, following Union Cabinet`s approval to create separate Telangana state out of Andhra Pradesh.
In view of the present peaceful situation, the curfew may be totally lifted from tomorrow, Dande said, adding that it will be decided after a review meeting with concerned officials this evening.
District Superintendent of Police Kartikeya said though the curfew is lifted for 14 hours today, section 144 of CrPc will continue to be in force during the relaxation period.
He said around 500 people involved in violent activities were taken into custody.
Police sources said everything was under control with police and paramilitary personnel, including members of the Rapid Action Force, continuing to patrol the trouble-hit city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok