Telangana: Vizianagaram peaceful; curfew relaxed for 14 hrs
Visakhapatnam: In view of peaceful situation in the trouble-hit Vizianagaram town, authorities on Sunday relaxed curfew for 14 hours for the convenience of people.
With no fresh violence during the last five to six days, it has been decided to relax the curfew for 14 hours today from 6 AM to 8 PM, Vizianagaram District Collector Kantilal Dande told a news agency.
Curfew was clamped in Vizianagaram town on October 5 night in the wake of large-scale violence by anti-bifurcation agitators, following Union Cabinet`s approval to create separate Telangana state out of Andhra Pradesh.
In view of the present peaceful situation, the curfew may be totally lifted from tomorrow, Dande said, adding that it will be decided after a review meeting with concerned officials this evening.
District Superintendent of Police Kartikeya said though the curfew is lifted for 14 hours today, section 144 of CrPc will continue to be in force during the relaxation period.
He said around 500 people involved in violent activities were taken into custody.
Police sources said everything was under control with police and paramilitary personnel, including members of the Rapid Action Force, continuing to patrol the trouble-hit city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- On eve of Greece visit, Putin says problems with EU can be solved
- President Mukherjee lists 8 steps to resolve issues between India, China
- READ: What Ashish Nehra has to say about his Viral Photo with Virat Kohli
- Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders ''seemingly'' agree to a debate
- Taiwan angry over `emotional` female president comments