`Telangana will be our priority if voted to power`
New Delhi: Accusing the Government of indecision, BJP on Tuesday promised to accord "first priority" to creation of Telangana state if voted to power at the Centre, as its cadre tried to march towards the Prime Minister`s residence, forcing police to use tear gas shells against them.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley blamed "policy paralysis" of the UPA Government for its indecision on the separate state issue and accused it of "outsourcing" its job on the decision to a Committee headed by former judge.
Addressing a protest fast by Andhra Pradesh BJP chief Kishan Reddy, Jaitley said, "The BJP once it comes to power will take up creation of Telangana as its first job. We will give first priority to formation of Telangana. There shall be no doubt about it."
Jaitley was highly critical of the Government`s decision to appoint Justice B N Srikrishna Committee to suggest ways to end the Telangana crisis, saying "no one understands the report. The government outsourced it to a Judge. It was the Government`s job to resolve."
BJP, the principal Opposition party at the Centre, is supporting the demand for bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, arguing that smaller states bring in a lot of development and cites Jharkhand, Uttarakhand and Chhatisgarh as examples.
The Opposition Leader also accused the Congress of "continously cheating" the people of Telangana.
Jaitley was addressing the protesters after hundreds of them were stopped outside the Parliament Street Police Station, less than a km from the highly-fortified Parliament House complex, as they marched from Jantar Mantar.
The BJP cadres led by party leader Prakash Javadekar tried breaking the barricades after they were stopped by a large posse of policemen outside the station and even attempted to clash with the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway