`Telangana will be our priority if voted to power`
New Delhi: Accusing the Government of indecision, BJP on Tuesday promised to accord "first priority" to creation of Telangana state if voted to power at the Centre, as its cadre tried to march towards the Prime Minister`s residence, forcing police to use tear gas shells against them.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley blamed "policy paralysis" of the UPA Government for its indecision on the separate state issue and accused it of "outsourcing" its job on the decision to a Committee headed by former judge.
Addressing a protest fast by Andhra Pradesh BJP chief Kishan Reddy, Jaitley said, "The BJP once it comes to power will take up creation of Telangana as its first job. We will give first priority to formation of Telangana. There shall be no doubt about it."
Jaitley was highly critical of the Government`s decision to appoint Justice B N Srikrishna Committee to suggest ways to end the Telangana crisis, saying "no one understands the report. The government outsourced it to a Judge. It was the Government`s job to resolve."
BJP, the principal Opposition party at the Centre, is supporting the demand for bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, arguing that smaller states bring in a lot of development and cites Jharkhand, Uttarakhand and Chhatisgarh as examples.
The Opposition Leader also accused the Congress of "continously cheating" the people of Telangana.
Jaitley was addressing the protesters after hundreds of them were stopped outside the Parliament Street Police Station, less than a km from the highly-fortified Parliament House complex, as they marched from Jantar Mantar.
The BJP cadres led by party leader Prakash Javadekar tried breaking the barricades after they were stopped by a large posse of policemen outside the station and even attempted to clash with the police.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata