Temple row: Hyderabad tense, Congress to hold talks with MIM
Hyderabad: A day after Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) withdrew support to the Congress government in Andhra Pradesh, the ruling party has decided to hold talks with its ally to persuade it to reconsider its decision, reports said on Tuesday.
MIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi, however, ruled out the possibility of his party reconsidering its decision. "Once we take a decision, we don`t go back on it," he said.
Facing a possible crisis due to the MIM`s move, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy held an emergency meeting of his cabinet last evening to discuss the political situation.
As many as 24 ministers including state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana attended the meeting. The chief minister briefed them about the stand taken by the government on Bhagyalakshmi temple abutting Charminar.
The MIM withdrew support while accusing the chief minister of allowing construction of a canopy over the temple structure in violation of court orders to maintain status quo.
Satyanarayana told reporters after the meeting that it was decided to hold talks with the MIM.
He said the MIM had only expressed its views and hoped that the issues would be sorted out. He said the government had acted as per the law and had done nothing to hurt sentiments of any community.
Hectic political activity was also seen in the camps of other major parties. Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao took stock of the situation with some members of party politburo and other top leaders in Hyderabad.
Leaders of main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) also discussed the latest political developments.
Curfew-like situation prevails in old Hyderabad
The situation in the old city of Hyderabad continued to be tense on Tuesday with sporadic incidents of stone pelting. A curfew-like situation prevailed around the historic Charminar.
The construction of a canopy over a temple abutting the monument has sparked political trouble in the state.
The 400-year-old monument and the usually busy markets around it were deserted with armed policemen barricade visible in the entire area. Residents in localities surrounding the heritage monument were facing severe inconvenience as police prevented them from coming out of their houses.
Policemen and personnel from paramilitary forces remained deployed at Charminar and surrounding areas. The police arrested Hindu religious leader Swami Paripoornananda and some BJP leaders proceeding to Bhagyalakshmi temple abutting Charminar.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Akun Sabharwal said the situation remained peaceful and appealed to people not to believe rumors.
Road Transport Corporation (RTC) suspended all its bus services. RTC officials said 157 services were cancelled as a precautionary measure. All schools and colleges in the old city declared a holiday.
Trouble broke out in Aghapura area outside the old city when some MIM activists coming out of the party headquarters pelted stones, damaging few vehicles. They targeted a vehicle of a television channel. Police resorted to baton charge to disperse the mob.
The incident took place after MIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi addressed a press conference, announcing withdrawal of support to tje Congress government. Owaisi later came out of the party office to control hundreds of party supporters and persuaded them to return home.
MIM legislators were arrested at Charminar Sunday when they staged a protest over erection of a canopy on the temple structure. They alleged that the court orders to maintain status quo at the temple were violated.
With IANS Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared