Tension at OU campus as student commits suicide over Telangana
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed at Osmania University campus on Wednesday after a student from Adilabad district allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself in support of the cause of separate Telangana state.
The suicide note, purportedly written by V Santosh, the student, said he was ending his life for Telangana state, police said.
Santosh, who was studying at a college in Tukkuguda on the city outskirts, committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree in front of Arts College on the Osmania University campus.
As news spread, a large number of students gathered and started shouting pro-Telangana slogans. Tension increased when they opposed shifting of the body for autopsy.
The students wanted to take out funeral procession to Gun Park near the Assembly complex, but police denied the permission.
Police had to use teargas to bring the situation under control, an officer said.
BJP condemned the use of teargas by police in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state