Tension in Hyderabad as TRS protests fasting Andhra MP
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed at a Hyderabad hospital Monday as a large number of pro-Telangana activists gathered and demanded that Congress MP L Rajagopal, on a fast against the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh, go back to Vijaywada hospital from where he slipped out Sunday night to surface here 15 hours later.
Rajagopal escaped from the Vijaywada hospital in coastal Andhra region where he was fasting, opposing a separate Telangana. He gave nearly 300 policemen deployed the slip and dramatically re-surfaced in Hyderabad Monday.
Armed policemen, including the paramilitary Rapid Action Force (RAF), were deployed at Nizam`s Institue of Medical Sciences (NIMS) here and all roads leading towards the hospital were closed for traffic to prevent the protesters.
Activists of the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) and other pro-Telangana groups rushed to the NIMS after the word spread that the Vijayawada MP reached the hospital in a dramatic fashion, giving a new twist to ongoing protests over the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh.
Police used mild force and arrested some protesters, including women, who were raising slogans of "Jai Telangana".
The protests brought traffic to a halt around the NIMS in Panjagutta, the heart of the city and a commercial hub.
Rajagopal`s senior Congress party leader and Rajya Sabha member V Hanumantha Rao has demanded that the government send back Rajagopal to maintain peace in Hyderabad.
"The fact that Rajagopal was caught on camera while running into the hospital proves that he has come to Hyderabad to provoke the people of Telangana," Rao told reporters in Delhi.
The leader warned that the presence of Andhra MP in Hyderabad would add to the tension and create law and order problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!