Tension in Hyderabad over rumours of expansion work near Charminar
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed in old city on Sunday following rumours that the management of a religious structure had taken up its expansion work near the Charminar.
As tension mounted in some parts of old city over the rumours, the area was cordoned off and some leaders of MIM party were prevented from trying to proceed towards Charminar, violating prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more persons, police said.
"Six MIM legislators and its two councillors were taken into custody as a precautionary measure for not allowing police to maintain status quo orders of the Andhra Pradesh High Court, a senior police officer told PTI.
The MIM leaders alleged that despite the state High Court ordering status quo, some groups were carrying out the expansion work.
However, Bhagyalaxmi Devalaya Parirakshana Samithi convener Bhagavanth Rao refuted the charges saying that they have been maintaining court`s orders and merely took up works to decorate temple on the occasion of Diwali.
Meanwhile, city Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma appealed to people to maintain peace and not to believe the rumours.
The usually busy roads leading to the?400-year-old Charminar monument were deserted with police sealing off all the routes by erecting barricades and barbed fencing.
Police intensified patrolling in the sensitive areas of the old city that witnessed communal clashes last week.
Prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more people remained in force in areas falling under five police station limits of South Zone in old city from November 8.
A large number of policemen including the Rapid Action Force (RAF) were deployed in communally sensitive areas.
BJP yesterday took out a rally in protest against the state government for not allowing to undertake decoration work at century old temple adjacent to Charminar, on the occasion of Diwali festival.
On a petition filed by MIM, the state High Court recently gave a direction to maintain status quo as on October 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!