Three farmers commit suicide in Andhra Pradesh
Karimnagar (AP): Three cotton farmers from Karimnagar district of Andhra Pradesh allegedly committed suicide owing to indebtedness and crop failure, police said on Thursday.
Bhimuni Kanakaiah (44), a cotton-grower from Suraiahpalli village killed himself by consuming pesticide in his field yesterday, they said, adding the deceased had borrowed a loan of Rs 2 lakh but failed to repay it as the crop failed due to deficient rains.
A case has been registered under Manthani police station limits.
In another incident, Burra Ramesh Goud (27) took the extreme step by consuming pesticide on similar grounds at his house in Kamanpur block yesterday, police said.
Another cotton farmer S Yadagiri (47) from Manikyapur village hang himself to a tree at his field yesterday, police said, adding he had incurred huge debts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters