Three held for gold smuggling at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: In the biggest ever catch at Hyderabad airport, customs officials on Friday seized 18 kg of gold and arrested three people.
Three passengers from Singapore were arrested on arrival at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport here, and six kg gold was seized from each of them, said the official.
The gold is valued at Rs 5.4 crore. The arrested persons, all Singapore passport holders, were hiding the gold biscuits in trousers and shoes. Foreign currency of Rs 2.70 lakh was also seized from the arrested men, he added.
A senior official said the seizure was not based on intelligence. "It was detected because our officers were alert and they had certain suspicions about the behaviour of these men," he said.
Before this seizure, this year around 16 kg gold was seized and 13 people were arrested in different cases. In most of the cases, gold was being smuggled in from Dubai, Singapore and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof