Three held for gold smuggling at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: In the biggest ever catch at Hyderabad airport, customs officials on Friday seized 18 kg of gold and arrested three people.
Three passengers from Singapore were arrested on arrival at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport here, and six kg gold was seized from each of them, said the official.
The gold is valued at Rs 5.4 crore. The arrested persons, all Singapore passport holders, were hiding the gold biscuits in trousers and shoes. Foreign currency of Rs 2.70 lakh was also seized from the arrested men, he added.
A senior official said the seizure was not based on intelligence. "It was detected because our officers were alert and they had certain suspicions about the behaviour of these men," he said.
Before this seizure, this year around 16 kg gold was seized and 13 people were arrested in different cases. In most of the cases, gold was being smuggled in from Dubai, Singapore and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown