Three held for gold smuggling at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: In the biggest ever catch at Hyderabad airport, customs officials on Friday seized 18 kg of gold and arrested three people.
Three passengers from Singapore were arrested on arrival at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport here, and six kg gold was seized from each of them, said the official.
The gold is valued at Rs 5.4 crore. The arrested persons, all Singapore passport holders, were hiding the gold biscuits in trousers and shoes. Foreign currency of Rs 2.70 lakh was also seized from the arrested men, he added.
A senior official said the seizure was not based on intelligence. "It was detected because our officers were alert and they had certain suspicions about the behaviour of these men," he said.
Before this seizure, this year around 16 kg gold was seized and 13 people were arrested in different cases. In most of the cases, gold was being smuggled in from Dubai, Singapore and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail