Three held for smuggling; Rs 90 lakh gold bars seized
Hyderabad: Gold bars worth Rs 90 lakhs were seized and three passengers arrested at a city airport on Tuesday while they were allegedly trying to smuggle the precious metal.
Three gold bars, each weighing one kg, were seized from Salman Hyder, and Mir Hussain Ali and his wife Amthul Zahara, who arrived at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad here in flights from Singapore and Bangkok respectively, customs official told a news agency.
"The trio, who were arrested after the seizure of the gold and their questioning, are from Karnataka and all of them were to hand over the smuggled gold bars to one person in Bangalore," he said.
Acting on suspicion, the Air Intelligence Unit of Hyderabad Customs intercepted Hyder when he arrived from Singapore last night. After a thorough check, one kg gold bar which was concealed in his undergarment was found.
Similarly, Mir Hussain Ali and his wife, who arrived from Bangkok at around 12.15 AM, were checked on suspicion and the woman passenger was found carrying one kg gold bar inside her `salwar`.
Another one kg gold bar was recovered from Ali, which was concealed in a pouch stitched to his trousers, the official added.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks