Three workers injured in police firing in Yanam
Hyderabad: Three industrial workers were injured Friday as police opened fire when large-scale violence by employees of a ceramics factory rocked Yanam, a region of Puducherry but located in Andhra Pradesh`s East Godavari district.
Police said hundreds of workers of Regency Ceramics went on rampage, setting afire parts of the factory and dozens of vehicles nearby.
The trouble began Friday morning when a leader of striking employees died under suspicious circumstances. The employees alleged that Murali Mohan was one of the 100 people arrested and he died in police custody.
Angry workers laid siege to the police station, pelted stones at and clashed with the police. As baton charge failed to disperse the angry workers, the police opened fire, injuring three workers.
Over 700 workers of the factory were on strike for the last 15 days demanding hike in salaries.
The management has reportedly decided to retrench some workers and had even obtained orders from the Madras High Court that the striking workers should not come within 200 metres of the industrial unit.
As the striking workers gathered near the factory gate Friday morning, the police swung into action and arrested them.
Yanam, a former French colony, is under administrative control of Puducherry but geographically a part of East Godavari district in coastal Andhra. The people in the enclave speak Telugu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video