Tiger poaching racket busted in Mahrashtra; six held
Chandrapur (Maha): Forest department
officials have busted a poaching racket in the Tadoba-Andhari
Tiger Reserve (TATR) here with the arrest of six persons.
The first arrest of one Mangaldas Madavi (29) was made
on May 1 on a tip-off from Wildlife Protection Society of
Three tiger claws were recovered from him, officials
During interrogation, it emerged that he hailed from
village Jamni located within TATR. Further raids led to the
arrest of second accused, Bhauji Gedam (36), a resident of
village Kolsa, which is also located within TATR, on the same
day, they said.
Investigators learnt that the duo, along with their
other accomplice, had poached a tiger in Kolsa range under
the protected reserve in Vidarbha region, officials said.
On the basis of information given by Madavi and Gedam,
four more persons who were part of the gang were arrested
yesterday, they said.
Their questioning led to the recovery of 20 tiger
bones from a spot in the reserve, the officials said.
Assistant Conservator of Forests A N Dhote said the
gang was also involved in trapping other animals like cheetal
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India