Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 13
Hyderabad: The death toll in the hooch tragedy in Andhra Pradesh`s Krishna district rose to 13 with three more people succumbing on Sunday, police said.
Hours before the dawn of New Year, the tragedy struck Poratanagar in Krishna district of coastal Andhra.
Ten people are still battling for life in hospitals at Mylavarm and Vijayawada.
The dead include three women. The victims, belonging to three tribal hamlets, consumed the country-made liquor on Saturday evening. They suffered giddiness and were rushed to the hospitals.
Ten died on Saturday night and three Sunday morning.
Police arrested Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader D Umamaheswara Rao early on Sunday as he along with relatives of the victims sat on a `dharna` at the excise office at Mylavaram on Saturday night, demanding action against the guilty and compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of the victims.
Minister for Excise Mopidevi Venkataramana ordered judicial probe into the incident. He also ordered suspension of a circle inspector and a sub-inspector of excise department of Mylavaram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH