Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 13
Hyderabad: The death toll in the hooch tragedy in Andhra Pradesh`s Krishna district rose to 13 with three more people succumbing on Sunday, police said.
Hours before the dawn of New Year, the tragedy struck Poratanagar in Krishna district of coastal Andhra.
Ten people are still battling for life in hospitals at Mylavarm and Vijayawada.
The dead include three women. The victims, belonging to three tribal hamlets, consumed the country-made liquor on Saturday evening. They suffered giddiness and were rushed to the hospitals.
Ten died on Saturday night and three Sunday morning.
Police arrested Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader D Umamaheswara Rao early on Sunday as he along with relatives of the victims sat on a `dharna` at the excise office at Mylavaram on Saturday night, demanding action against the guilty and compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of the victims.
Minister for Excise Mopidevi Venkataramana ordered judicial probe into the incident. He also ordered suspension of a circle inspector and a sub-inspector of excise department of Mylavaram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!