Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 13
Hyderabad: The death toll in the hooch tragedy in Andhra Pradesh`s Krishna district rose to 13 with three more people succumbing on Sunday, police said.
Hours before the dawn of New Year, the tragedy struck Poratanagar in Krishna district of coastal Andhra.
Ten people are still battling for life in hospitals at Mylavarm and Vijayawada.
The dead include three women. The victims, belonging to three tribal hamlets, consumed the country-made liquor on Saturday evening. They suffered giddiness and were rushed to the hospitals.
Ten died on Saturday night and three Sunday morning.
Police arrested Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader D Umamaheswara Rao early on Sunday as he along with relatives of the victims sat on a `dharna` at the excise office at Mylavaram on Saturday night, demanding action against the guilty and compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of the victims.
Minister for Excise Mopidevi Venkataramana ordered judicial probe into the incident. He also ordered suspension of a circle inspector and a sub-inspector of excise department of Mylavaram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital