Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 13
Hyderabad: The death toll in the hooch tragedy in Andhra Pradesh`s Krishna district rose to 13 with three more people succumbing on Sunday, police said.
Hours before the dawn of New Year, the tragedy struck Poratanagar in Krishna district of coastal Andhra.
Ten people are still battling for life in hospitals at Mylavarm and Vijayawada.
The dead include three women. The victims, belonging to three tribal hamlets, consumed the country-made liquor on Saturday evening. They suffered giddiness and were rushed to the hospitals.
Ten died on Saturday night and three Sunday morning.
Police arrested Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader D Umamaheswara Rao early on Sunday as he along with relatives of the victims sat on a `dharna` at the excise office at Mylavaram on Saturday night, demanding action against the guilty and compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of the victims.
Minister for Excise Mopidevi Venkataramana ordered judicial probe into the incident. He also ordered suspension of a circle inspector and a sub-inspector of excise department of Mylavaram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative