Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 18
Hyderabad: The death toll in the hooch tragedy in Andhra Pradesh`s Krishna district rose to 18 on Monday with another person succumbing at a hospital. The condition of four others remains critical.
About 50 tribals belonging to Poratanagar and other tribal hamlets in Mylavaram mandal in the coastal district consumed illicit liquor on New Year eve.
While 10 lost their lives on Saturday night, seven others died on Sunday.
Over 20 people are undergoing treatment in government-run hospitals in Mylavaram and Vijayawada.
The government has ordered a judicial probe into the incident. Excise Minister Mopidevi Venkataramana, who visited Mylavaram on Sunday, also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 200,000 each to the families of the dead.
A delegation of leaders of opposition parties on Monday met Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and asked the government to ban the sale of toddy and arrack.
The delegation comprising leaders of TDP, BJP, CPI and Lok Satta also urged the Chief Minister to make public the report of the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), which conducted raids on liquor shops last month and found irregularities in the sale of liquor.
The opposition also wanted the government to take over sale of liquor from private traders and not to treat liquor as a source of revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price