Toll in Visakhapatnam HPCL refinery fire rises to 10
Hyderabad: The death toll in the major fire that broke on Friday in the state-owned Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL) refinery in Andhra Pradesh`s coastal city of Visakhapatnam rose to 10, police said on Saturday.
Six charred bodies were recovered from the mishap site on Saturday, taking the toll to 10. Two bodies were found on Friday night while two injured succumbed at a hospital.
As many as 34 people are under treatment in different hospitals and the condition of six of them is stated to be critical.
Personnel from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) joined the search operation at the mishap site, the diesel hydro sulphurisation expansion project.
The fire broke out after a major blast in an under-construction cooling tower in the state-owned HPCL refinery on Friday evening.
About a dozen fire engines controlled the fire, not allowing it to spread to other parts of the refinery.
Authorities have opened a control room at the district collectorate. Relatives of the missing workers staged a protest Saturday at the main entrance of the refinery.
About 4,000 employees of the refinery were boycotting their duties Saturday to demand proper safety measures at the refinery.
Union Minister of State for Petroleum Pannabaka Lakshmi visited the refinery and spoke to the officials about the disaster. She later told reporters that a high-level probe was already ordered into the mishap.
Relatives of the victims and other workers staged a protest during her visit and demanded compensation. They complained that the officials were not giving them information.
Union Petroleum Minister Veerappa Moily is likely to visit the HPCL refinery later Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’