Toll in Visakhapatnam HPCL refinery fire rises to 10
Hyderabad: The death toll in the major fire that broke on Friday in the state-owned Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL) refinery in Andhra Pradesh`s coastal city of Visakhapatnam rose to 10, police said on Saturday.
Six charred bodies were recovered from the mishap site on Saturday, taking the toll to 10. Two bodies were found on Friday night while two injured succumbed at a hospital.
As many as 34 people are under treatment in different hospitals and the condition of six of them is stated to be critical.
Personnel from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) joined the search operation at the mishap site, the diesel hydro sulphurisation expansion project.
The fire broke out after a major blast in an under-construction cooling tower in the state-owned HPCL refinery on Friday evening.
About a dozen fire engines controlled the fire, not allowing it to spread to other parts of the refinery.
Authorities have opened a control room at the district collectorate. Relatives of the missing workers staged a protest Saturday at the main entrance of the refinery.
About 4,000 employees of the refinery were boycotting their duties Saturday to demand proper safety measures at the refinery.
Union Minister of State for Petroleum Pannabaka Lakshmi visited the refinery and spoke to the officials about the disaster. She later told reporters that a high-level probe was already ordered into the mishap.
Relatives of the victims and other workers staged a protest during her visit and demanded compensation. They complained that the officials were not giving them information.
Union Petroleum Minister Veerappa Moily is likely to visit the HPCL refinery later Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: Is Sanskrit language losing its importance in India?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them