Top Andhra official appears before CBI
Hyderabad: A top bureaucrat of the Andhra Pradesh government Thursday appeared before the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) amid speculation that she may be arrested in the illegal mining case involving the mining company of former Karnataka minister G. Janardhana Reddy.
After remaining elusive for the last few days, Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Y. Srilakshmi, who figures as accused number four in the case, reached the CBI office at Koti.
The CBI officials began questioning her. Officials said the questioning may continue till evening.
Srilakshmi, who is currently family welfare commissioner, was industries secretary in-charge of mines when Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) owned by Janardhana Reddy was granted leases for mining iron ore in Anantapur district.
Srilakshmi, who was already questioned by CBI several times, went on leave last week and proceeded to Chennai. She returned to Hyderabad Wednesday.
CBI last Saturday arrested former director of mines V.D. Rajagopal in the illegal mining case and is currently questioning. He was the third accused to be arrested in the case.
Janardhana Reddy and OMC managing director B.V. Srinivas Reddy, who were arrested Sep 5, are currently lodged in Chanchalguda Central Jail here.
CBI believes several public servants were hand-in-glove with OMC in illegal mining in Anantapur district.
Srilakshmi, however, has denied any wrongdoing. She has already told the CBI that she took the decisions as per rules.
CBI has also quizzed Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy, who was minister for mines from 2004 to 2009 when OMC was granted mining leases.
The federal agency has also questioned YSR Congress party chief Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy for his alleged business links with Janardhana Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees