Tributes paid to NTR on birth anniversary
Hyderabad: Rich tributes were paid to Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder and former Andhra Pradesh chief minister NT Rama Rao on Saturday on his 88th birth anniversary.
NTR`s family members, TDP leaders and prominent personalities from different walks of life paid tributes at NTR Ghat on the banks of Hussain Sagar Lake here.
His services to the people were also remembered during Mahanadu or the state-level conclave of TDP which began here on Friday. Led by TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu, the party paid glowing tributes to the founder.
NTR`s sons Harikrishna, Balakrishna, Ramakrishna, grandson Junior NTR, son-in-law N Chandrababu Naidu, daughter Bhuwaneswari and other family members paid floral tributes at NTR Ghat.
NTR`s second wife Lakshmi Parvathi paid separate tributes at NTR Ghat.
Addressing Mahanadu, Naidu demanded that the Centre confer the Bharat Ratna on NTR in recognition of his services to the people.
NTR, a popular Telugu actor, had launched TDP in 1982 and created a record of sorts by coming to power within nine months, ending the single party rule of the Congress.
NTR died in January 1996, a few months after he was unseated from power by his son-in-law Chandrababu Naidu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days