Tributes paid to NTR on birth anniversary
Hyderabad: Rich tributes were paid to Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder and former Andhra Pradesh chief minister NT Rama Rao on Saturday on his 88th birth anniversary.
NTR`s family members, TDP leaders and prominent personalities from different walks of life paid tributes at NTR Ghat on the banks of Hussain Sagar Lake here.
His services to the people were also remembered during Mahanadu or the state-level conclave of TDP which began here on Friday. Led by TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu, the party paid glowing tributes to the founder.
NTR`s sons Harikrishna, Balakrishna, Ramakrishna, grandson Junior NTR, son-in-law N Chandrababu Naidu, daughter Bhuwaneswari and other family members paid floral tributes at NTR Ghat.
NTR`s second wife Lakshmi Parvathi paid separate tributes at NTR Ghat.
Addressing Mahanadu, Naidu demanded that the Centre confer the Bharat Ratna on NTR in recognition of his services to the people.
NTR, a popular Telugu actor, had launched TDP in 1982 and created a record of sorts by coming to power within nine months, ending the single party rule of the Congress.
NTR died in January 1996, a few months after he was unseated from power by his son-in-law Chandrababu Naidu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use