Tried in vain to call YSRC, TDP for debate on division: Cong
Hyderabad: Hitting out at the YSR Congress and TDP for allegedly stalling debate on the draft Telangana bill in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, the ruling Congress on Tuesday said the two parties are not helping the cause of state`s unity by doing so.
There has been a stalemate in the assembly over debating the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, 2013 though the winter session resumed on January 3. MLAs of YSRCP and Seemandhra TDP, who are in favour of united Andhra, have been protesting at the Speaker`s podium.
"Our responsibility now is to debate how it is anti-constitutional, anti-people; how new problems would crop up. We have to express our views and see that we vote against the clauses (of the bill)," state Revenue Minister N Raghuveera Reddy, who belongs to Seemandhra, told reporters.
Congress MLAs, including those from Seemandhra, are ready for debate though the latter are strongly in favour of keeping the state united, he said.
He said it is the right of every member to seek division on the bill and the Speaker has to agree to it.
"The Assembly debate should be a weapon for our MPs (from Seemandhra) to articulate our cause. It should help in convincing MPs from other parties (against division)," he said.
"It appears that, since Jagan`s party can contest only in 175 seats (in Seemandhra) and they cannot come to power if the state remains united. So, do they want division actually? Secondly, how does main opposition leader (TDP Chief N Chandrababu Naidu) behave? He has been maintaining ambiguity all these day. Is he avoiding debate so as not to be exposed?," he asked.
He claimed that they have tried to persuade the YSRCP and TDP during the last four days to let the debate take place but in vain.
He said the TDP and YSRCP members should participate in the debate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- India thump Pakistan to enter final of Asian Snooker team championship
- Tata Steel says yet to shortlist bidder for UK plant
- Aww! Here's a sweet gesture by Alia Bhatt towards mom Soni Razdan – Check out
- Good news! EPFO finally gets govt nod to raise insurance cover of subscribers to Rs 6 lakh
- Babies affected by Zika prone to eye damage: Research