Trouble in alliance with Cong, TRS turns to BJP
New Delhi: The talks between Congress and TRS over an alliance have run into trouble and the regional party of Telangana has now opened a channel of communication with BJP for a possible tie-up.
The talks between TRS and Congress have got into difficulties over the number of seats each will contest in the newly-formed Telangana state, particularly for the 119-member Assembly, sources said.
TRS is demanding a bigger chunk of seats than Congress, an issue that has led to sharp differences between them, they said but did not specify how many the regional party wants.
"As of now, we are not holding any formal talks with Congress or bargaining over seat sharing. We would need the adequate number of seats from the Congress that would help us to form the Government," a TRS leader stated.
In the meanwhile, TRS has opened a channel of communication with BJP for an alliance.
"Our informal talks began after we rejected the demand for a merger with Congress," the party leader said.
The TRS is of the view that it might require the support of BJP if the party comes to power at the Centre.
To justify its reaching out to BJP, the TRS leaders point out that the party had helped the passage of the Telangana Bill in Parliament.
"We are of the view that BJP is likely to form the next Government in Delhi. Under such circumstances we would need their support for the development of Telangana," the sources claimed.
The development comes as a huge blow for Congress, which was hoping for the merger of TRS with it, though the regional outfit had refused the demand due to stiff opposition from party leaders.
Interestingly, AICC general secretary, in-charge of Andhra Pradesh affairs, Digvijay Singh reached Hyderabad today on a three-day visit to launch an exercise for selecting party candidates for the ensuing elections to Lok Sabha and state Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists
- Rio Olympics 2016: India to start with a bang
- Congress puts gag order on partymen, asks them not to make comments inconsistent with party stand