TRS announces candidate for Parkal by-poll
Hyderabad: TRS on Wednesday announced M Bhikshapati as its candidate for the June 12 by-poll for Parkal Assembly constituency in Warangal district of Andhra Pradesh.
Bhikshapati, who unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly election in 2009, is the unanimous choice of the party, TRS election committee chairman Naini Narsimha Reddy told reporters here.
Among the 18 Assembly seats in Andhra Pradesh where bypolls will be held on June 12, Parkal is the only Assembly constituency in Telangana and all the remaining seats are in non-Telangana regions.
Bypoll in Parkal is necessitated as sitting Congress MLA Konda Surekha switched loyalty to Kadapa MP YS Jagan Mohan Reddy and voted against the Congress government during a floor test in December last year.
TRS went ahead with fielding its candidate in Parkal despite some Telangana supporters suggesting that either TRS or BJP should contest the election to avoid a division of votes among pro-Telangana parties.
However, both TRS and BJP announced their decision to contest the bypoll.
TRS and BJP have been members of the Telangana political Joint Action Committee (JAC) but the ties between the two parties soured after the TRS lost to the saffron party in the bye-election to Mahbubnagar in March.
The decision of TRS and BJP to contest the Parkal election has put the JAC in a fix as it cannot take sides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why