TRS announces candidate for Parkal by-poll
Hyderabad: TRS on Wednesday announced M Bhikshapati as its candidate for the June 12 by-poll for Parkal Assembly constituency in Warangal district of Andhra Pradesh.
Bhikshapati, who unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly election in 2009, is the unanimous choice of the party, TRS election committee chairman Naini Narsimha Reddy told reporters here.
Among the 18 Assembly seats in Andhra Pradesh where bypolls will be held on June 12, Parkal is the only Assembly constituency in Telangana and all the remaining seats are in non-Telangana regions.
Bypoll in Parkal is necessitated as sitting Congress MLA Konda Surekha switched loyalty to Kadapa MP YS Jagan Mohan Reddy and voted against the Congress government during a floor test in December last year.
TRS went ahead with fielding its candidate in Parkal despite some Telangana supporters suggesting that either TRS or BJP should contest the election to avoid a division of votes among pro-Telangana parties.
However, both TRS and BJP announced their decision to contest the bypoll.
TRS and BJP have been members of the Telangana political Joint Action Committee (JAC) but the ties between the two parties soured after the TRS lost to the saffron party in the bye-election to Mahbubnagar in March.
The decision of TRS and BJP to contest the Parkal election has put the JAC in a fix as it cannot take sides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'