TRS announces candidate for Parkal by-poll
Hyderabad: TRS on Wednesday announced M Bhikshapati as its candidate for the June 12 by-poll for Parkal Assembly constituency in Warangal district of Andhra Pradesh.
Bhikshapati, who unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly election in 2009, is the unanimous choice of the party, TRS election committee chairman Naini Narsimha Reddy told reporters here.
Among the 18 Assembly seats in Andhra Pradesh where bypolls will be held on June 12, Parkal is the only Assembly constituency in Telangana and all the remaining seats are in non-Telangana regions.
Bypoll in Parkal is necessitated as sitting Congress MLA Konda Surekha switched loyalty to Kadapa MP YS Jagan Mohan Reddy and voted against the Congress government during a floor test in December last year.
TRS went ahead with fielding its candidate in Parkal despite some Telangana supporters suggesting that either TRS or BJP should contest the election to avoid a division of votes among pro-Telangana parties.
However, both TRS and BJP announced their decision to contest the bypoll.
TRS and BJP have been members of the Telangana political Joint Action Committee (JAC) but the ties between the two parties soured after the TRS lost to the saffron party in the bye-election to Mahbubnagar in March.
The decision of TRS and BJP to contest the Parkal election has put the JAC in a fix as it cannot take sides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases