TRS bandh call evokes total response in parts of Telangana
Hyderabad: A one-day bandh called by Telangana Rashtra Samiti, and supported by BJP besides other votaries of separate statehood, against Centre`s "indecisiveness" evoked total response in some districts of the disputed region.
While the shutdown was total in Warangal, Karimnagar, Medak and Khammam districts in Telangana, it evoked good response in other districts of the region with pro-Telangana activists taking out protest rallies and staging demonstrations at several places.
The bandh, however, was partial in Hyderabad -- the city the proponents of the separate state are pitching for as the Telangana capital.
The shutdown called by TRS to protest the Centre`s "indecision" on granting statehood to Telangana was backed by BJP, Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) and several other pro-Telangana organisations.
Educational institutions at many places remained shut. Examinations of Kakatiya and Osmania Universities were postponed.
Police made as many as 361 preventive arrests in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Demonstrators damaged three state transport buses besides there were four incidents of damage to private properties, police said.
In Karimnagar district, educational institutions, petrol pumps, banks, shops and other commercial establishments remained closed in view of the bandh call given by the TRS.
No untoward incident was reported in the district, police said, adding that TRS MLC Naradasu Laxman Rao, party district president Eeda Shankar Reddy and others were taken into custody.
A report from Warangal said the bandh was total and RTC
busses were off the road as TRS workers held protests at bus depots in the district.
Schools and educational institutions, shops and commercial establishments remained shut in Warangal city. Police took into custody scores of TRS activists who were later released.
In Medak district, a peaceful bandh was observed with schools, colleges, petrol bunks and cinema halls remaining closed.
Pro-Telangana supporters held demonstrations raising slogans against the Central government at several places in the district.
Around 100 agitators were taken into custody from various places and were later released, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`