TRS bandh call evokes total response in parts of Telangana
Hyderabad: A one-day bandh called by Telangana Rashtra Samiti, and supported by BJP besides other votaries of separate statehood, against Centre`s "indecisiveness" evoked total response in some districts of the disputed region.
While the shutdown was total in Warangal, Karimnagar, Medak and Khammam districts in Telangana, it evoked good response in other districts of the region with pro-Telangana activists taking out protest rallies and staging demonstrations at several places.
The bandh, however, was partial in Hyderabad -- the city the proponents of the separate state are pitching for as the Telangana capital.
The shutdown called by TRS to protest the Centre`s "indecision" on granting statehood to Telangana was backed by BJP, Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) and several other pro-Telangana organisations.
Educational institutions at many places remained shut. Examinations of Kakatiya and Osmania Universities were postponed.
Police made as many as 361 preventive arrests in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Demonstrators damaged three state transport buses besides there were four incidents of damage to private properties, police said.
In Karimnagar district, educational institutions, petrol pumps, banks, shops and other commercial establishments remained closed in view of the bandh call given by the TRS.
No untoward incident was reported in the district, police said, adding that TRS MLC Naradasu Laxman Rao, party district president Eeda Shankar Reddy and others were taken into custody.
A report from Warangal said the bandh was total and RTC
busses were off the road as TRS workers held protests at bus depots in the district.
Schools and educational institutions, shops and commercial establishments remained shut in Warangal city. Police took into custody scores of TRS activists who were later released.
In Medak district, a peaceful bandh was observed with schools, colleges, petrol bunks and cinema halls remaining closed.
Pro-Telangana supporters held demonstrations raising slogans against the Central government at several places in the district.
Around 100 agitators were taken into custody from various places and were later released, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam