TRS bandh call evokes total response in parts of Telangana
Hyderabad: A one-day bandh called by Telangana Rashtra Samiti, and supported by BJP besides other votaries of separate statehood, against Centre`s "indecisiveness" evoked total response in some districts of the disputed region.
While the shutdown was total in Warangal, Karimnagar, Medak and Khammam districts in Telangana, it evoked good response in other districts of the region with pro-Telangana activists taking out protest rallies and staging demonstrations at several places.
The bandh, however, was partial in Hyderabad -- the city the proponents of the separate state are pitching for as the Telangana capital.
The shutdown called by TRS to protest the Centre`s "indecision" on granting statehood to Telangana was backed by BJP, Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) and several other pro-Telangana organisations.
Educational institutions at many places remained shut. Examinations of Kakatiya and Osmania Universities were postponed.
Police made as many as 361 preventive arrests in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Demonstrators damaged three state transport buses besides there were four incidents of damage to private properties, police said.
In Karimnagar district, educational institutions, petrol pumps, banks, shops and other commercial establishments remained closed in view of the bandh call given by the TRS.
No untoward incident was reported in the district, police said, adding that TRS MLC Naradasu Laxman Rao, party district president Eeda Shankar Reddy and others were taken into custody.
A report from Warangal said the bandh was total and RTC
busses were off the road as TRS workers held protests at bus depots in the district.
Schools and educational institutions, shops and commercial establishments remained shut in Warangal city. Police took into custody scores of TRS activists who were later released.
In Medak district, a peaceful bandh was observed with schools, colleges, petrol bunks and cinema halls remaining closed.
Pro-Telangana supporters held demonstrations raising slogans against the Central government at several places in the district.
Around 100 agitators were taken into custody from various places and were later released, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket