TRS, Congress come together for Telangana cause
Hyderabad: Rivals TRS and Congress came
together for the cause of Telangana on Tuesday when Congress MPs
called off their indefinite hunger strike for withdrawal of
police cases against student protesters.
TRS president K Chandrasekhar Rao, who has been highly
critical of Congress leaders and has made remarks calling them
spineless, today expressed solidarity with their fast and
appreciated their efforts.
"Our MPs are sitting on a fast demanding withdrawal of
cases. How can I be isolated?," Chandrasekhar Rao told
reporters when he called on the fasting MPs.
When pointed out that his presence would add to the
political pressure, he said, "We are all brothers. Maybe we
are working with different flags today. But we know there will
be a boiling point which brings us together. That is what is
seen today. In future also, we will all work together," he
He appreciated the Congress MPs for having announced that
they will quit their posts, if need be, if the bill for
formation of a separate Telangana is not introduced in the
budget session of Parliament.
On his part, Congress Rajya Sabha member K Keshav Rao
thanked the TRS president for expressing solidarity with the
"I am thanking all outfits, particularly TRS supremo K
Chandrasekhar Rao, who expressed solidarity with us. He said
there are no differences between TRS and Congress as far as
Telangana is concerned. He agrees that we need to take the
lead," Keshav Rao said.
Though the TRS is in the forefront of the Telangana
agitation, it is only the Congress that is "capable of
bringing Telangana," he said.
Asked if the Congress and TRS would work together, Keshav
Rao said he and his colleagues are ready to work with everyone
and the cooperation with TRS would be taken forward for cause
The proximity of the TRS and the Congress leaders in
Telangana is significant because some Congress leaders had
suggested that the TRS can be merged with Congress if a
separate state of Telangana is formed.
The suggestion was made a few days ago by Congress MP
Sarve Satyanarayana. He suggested again today that TRS and the
Telangana Congress leaders should work together.
Media reports said that the TRS president expressed his
willingness to merge his party with the Congress if a separate
Telangana state is formed.
Asked if they are ready to welcome the TDP leaders to
join the fight for a separate Telangana, Chandrasekhar Rao
said it is for the TDP leaders to take a call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?