TRS `favours` mid-term polls
Hyderabad: With doubts being expressed over the stability of the Congress government in Andhra Pradesh, TRS today appeared to be favouring mid-term polls.
Former TRS MP B Vinod Kumar told reporters here that Telugu Desam chief N Chandrababu Naidu should take the lead to move a no-confidence motion against the Kiran Kumar Reddy government.
"As per the Constitution, it is the main Opposition which has to take the lead. On our part, we have been saying that this government is in minority and has no sanctity. We say this government has no moral right to continue in office," he said.
Stating that it is the duty of the main Opposition party to "decide if the government had majority or not", he alleged that Naidu is neglecting that responsibility.
The TRS leader, however, said his party is not demanding the TDP to move a no-confidence motion.
Asked what the TRS would do if a no-confidence motion is moved, he said the party would take a collective decision in such a situation.
The former MP`s comments that the TRS would keep its option open is bad news for the ruling Congress as the Telangana party was expected to bail out the government, along with Chiranjeevi`s Praja Rajyam and city-based Majlis Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM), in the event of the government facing no-confidence motion.
TRS has 11 MLAs in the 294-member Assembly.
Asked if his party favoured mid-term polls, Vinod Kumar said the party is not concerned about mid-term polls but want Telangana.
TRS is expected to win in Telangana, riding on pro-Telangana sentiment, if elections are held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read