TRS functionary Ramulu shot dead in Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: A Naxal-turned-politician was shot dead by unidentified persons in Nalgonda town of Andhra Pradesh on Sunday, police said.
The deceased K Ramulu was a member of Telangana Rashtra Samiti executive committee and brother of former top Maoist leader Sambashivudu, they said.
A group of 7-8 assailants fired several rounds in Ramulu`s head and chest outside a hall in Nalgonda town, where he had attended a marriage function, they said.
"Some assailants threw chilli powder at his (Ramulu`s) two personal security officers (PSOs), while others pounced upon them and also Ramulu. They then shot Ramulu in his head and chest,"a senior police officer said quoting eye witnesses.
He said the attackers scaled the compound wall and fled after attacking Ramulu.
"Ramulu was immediately shifted to a nearby hospital but he died before doctors could treat him," the officer said.
Ramulu had surrendered before the police for first time in 2003, but went underground. He turned himself in again in 2007 and joined politics.
Police said a hunt was launched to trace Ramulu`s attackers.
Sambashivudu, a TRS polit bureau member, was hacked to death by unidentified assailants using sickles and swords also in Nalgonda district in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Islamic State releases new video of France church attacker
- Indonesia executes foreign convicts despite protests; Indian national spared
- Public sector bank employees on strike today; operations hit
- Mamata Banerjee wants West Bengal to be called ‘Bangla’: Report
- What a journey! Watch video that introduced US President Barack Obama at Democratic National Convention