TRS functionary Ramulu shot dead in Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: A Naxal-turned-politician was shot dead by unidentified persons in Nalgonda town of Andhra Pradesh on Sunday, police said.
The deceased K Ramulu was a member of Telangana Rashtra Samiti executive committee and brother of former top Maoist leader Sambashivudu, they said.
A group of 7-8 assailants fired several rounds in Ramulu`s head and chest outside a hall in Nalgonda town, where he had attended a marriage function, they said.
"Some assailants threw chilli powder at his (Ramulu`s) two personal security officers (PSOs), while others pounced upon them and also Ramulu. They then shot Ramulu in his head and chest,"a senior police officer said quoting eye witnesses.
He said the attackers scaled the compound wall and fled after attacking Ramulu.
"Ramulu was immediately shifted to a nearby hospital but he died before doctors could treat him," the officer said.
Ramulu had surrendered before the police for first time in 2003, but went underground. He turned himself in again in 2007 and joined politics.
Police said a hunt was launched to trace Ramulu`s attackers.
Sambashivudu, a TRS polit bureau member, was hacked to death by unidentified assailants using sickles and swords also in Nalgonda district in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media