TRS legislators begin sit-in at Andhra Assembly
Hyderabad: Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) legislators began a sit-in at the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly premises on Saturday to protest what they call the anti-Telangana stance of the state government in denying them permission to take out a rally while allowing Seemandhra employees to hold a meeting.
TRS members E Rajender, Harish Rao, P Srinivasa Reddy and others reached the Assembly on two-wheelers but were not allowed inside by police and security staff. They wanted to stage a sit-in at the statue of Mahatma Gandhi.
The leaders sat in protest in front of the building, half-a-km from the Lal Bahadur Stadium, where Seemandhra employees are holding a meeting to oppose the proposed bifurcation of the state.
With the TRS launching a flash protest, police further beefed up security around the assembly and the stadium to prevent any untoward incident.
Harish Rao alleged that though police said only employees would be allowed in the stadium, many anti-social elements joined the gathering.
He said the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) mobilised large crowds. "If anything happens, the government will be responsible," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing