TRS nominates K Keshav Rao for Rajya Sabha polls
Hyderabad: TRS on Sunday announced the
candidature of its leader K Keshav Rao for the biennial
elections to fill six vacancies in Rajya Sabha from Andhra
Keshav Rao, who had served as state Congress president,
would file his nomination either on January 27 or 28, TRS said
in a release quoting its president K Chandrasekhar Rao.
TRS has 17 MLAs in the Legislative Assembly and is said to
enjoy the backing of five rebel TDP MLAs. Still, the party
falls short of the requisite strength (a minimum of 39 votes)
for its candidate to see through.
Meanwhile, the ruling Congress and main opposition TDP are
yet to announce their candidates.
Congress, with its strength of 146 MLAs, can win three
seats on its own and will be left with surplus strength.
However, the ruling party is likely to face rebel trouble
as its MLAs from Seemandhra are upset with the party`s
decision to divide the state.
Senior Congress MLA JC Diwakar Reddy and an MLC, both
from Seemandhra regions, are said to be planning to enter the
Meanwhile, TDP (with a strength of 74) can manage to win
two seats though it may fall short by four.
The YSR Congress has already announced that it will not
field candidate in the Rajya Sabha elections slated for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir