TRS not ready to announce candidate for Parakal
Hyderabad: Unable to recover from the shocking defeat at the hands of BJP in the by-election to Mahbubnagar Assembly seat in March, Telangana Rashtra Samiti is being wary in choosing its candidate for the June 12 by-election to Parakal Assembly seat in Warangal district.
TRS is not ready to announce its candidate for Parakal contest yet, fearing that BJP may lure the `rebels` and scuttle its prospects.
TRS is also not willing to toe the line of the so-called Telangana Joint Action Committee, and wants to tread an independent path, as it suspects the JAC to be tacitly supporting BJP.
TRS leaders abstained from a meeting of the JAC steering committee here today, and instead held a meeting of their own election committee to zero-in on the candidate.
"We have taken the views of party cadres on the choice of candidate. The election committee will meet again tomorrow and list out the prospective candidates who stand a good chance of winning and the names will be submitted to party president K Chandrasekhar Rao," TRS election committee chairman Nayani Narasimha Reddy said.
The TRS was likely to announce the candidate in the next couple of days, he added.
The TJAC, however, would like either the TRS or the BJP to contest the by-election from Parakal, to ensure there is no division of votes. "If both the parties fight the by-poll, the pro-Telangana votes will get divided and can well mar the prospects of TRS and BJP. We don`t want that to happen," a JAC leader said. The JAC is toying with the idea of fielding a consensus candidate, and has decided to meet the leadership of BJP and TRS and place its "suggestion" before them.
Sources, however, said neither TRS nor BJP were in the mood to oblige the JAC. The BJP is "very firm" on jumping into the fray in Parakal since "our chances of victory are very bright", party sources said.
"People of Telangana have realised that a separate state will become a reality only through the BJP. Time and again we have proved our commitment to the cause of the separate state and the Private Member`s Bill in Rajya Sabha, moved last week, is a testimony to the fact," a senior BJP leader said.
Also, the party would not like to let go an opportunity to strengthen its base in the region.
The BJP is said to be wooing TRS`s Bhikshapati, who lost the election from Parakal in 2009, to contest as its nominee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- No concrete evidence on missing AN-32, says Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- Confirmed: Apple iPhone 7 pre-orders to start September 9
- HC refuses to put on hold Dayashankar Singh's arrest over derogatory remarks against Mayawati
- Assam floods: CM Sarbananda Sonowal sends ministers to districts
- I'll be expected to deliver bigger film after 'Sultan': Ali Abbas Zafar