TRS releases first list of 69 candidates for Assembly polls
Hyderabad: The Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) on Friday released its first list of candidates for Assembly election in Telangana.
TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao is among 69 candidates announced by him at a news conference. KCR, as Rao is popularly known, will contest from Gajwel in Medak district.
This is the first time that KCR will be contesting for assembly since he floated TRS 14 years ago to revive the movement for separate Telangana state. He was elected to Lok Sabha in 2004 and 2009 elections.
KCR`s son K Tarakarama Rao will seek re-election from Sircilla while his nephew Harish Rao has been fielded again from Siddipet.
The TRS has retained all 17 sitting legislators and also gave tickets to those who crossed over from the Congress, the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and other parties.
KCR claimed that 55 percent of the candidates are from weaker sections of the candidate.
"We have given priority to those who participated in the Telangana movement. We have tried to accommodate lawyers, doctors and student leaders who participated in the movement. Some more names are under consideration," he said.
Shakeel Ahmed is the only Muslim candidate in the TRS list. He will contest from Bodhan in Nizamabad district.
KCR said the candidates for remaining 50 assembly seats and 17 Lok Sabha seats would be announced soon.
He also reiterated that TRS would go alone in the polls and that there is no question of alliance with any party.
Simultaneous elections to 119 assembly seats and 17 Lok Sabha seats in Telangana are scheduled on April 30.
Telangana will come into being as a separate state June 2.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference