TRS-sponsored bandh passes off peacefully
Hyderabad: The shutdown called today by TRS over the visit of YSR Congress Party Honorary President YS Vijaya Lakshmi to Karimnagar district passed off peacefully.
Shops and other commercial establishments remained closed and public transport was affected due to the bandh called in Karimngar district.
Many educational institutions were shut in Hyderabad and other Telangana districts due to the call given by TRS. TRS workers, students, lawyers and other Telangana supporters took out rallies in Karimnagar district.
No untoward incident was reported during the bandh, police said.
Vijaya Lakshmi held a fast yesterday at the textile town of Sircilla in Karimnagar to highlight the problems of weavers. TRS had been protesting against her visit, demanding YSR Congress spell out its stand on the statehood demand.
Police made elaborate security arrangements for the visit of Vijaya Lakshmi and thwarted attempts by TRS workers and others to organise protests during her journey from Hyderabad to Sircilla yesterday.
"It was not a fast. It was only aimed at gaining political mileage. There were rowdies who targeted Telangana supporters. These kind of protests will continue against those who are hurdles for formation of separate Telangana," TRS MLA T Harish Rao told reporters here today.
Congress MP S Rajaiah wondered how come the Government provided such elaborate security to the YSRCP leader, while the Congress MPs and other party leaders were targeted by police during a protest organised by them earlier.
State Congress President Botsa Satyanarayana, however, said it is the Government`s duty to provide police security to all in the interest of law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'