TRS taking Parakal bypoll as a do-or-die battle
Hyderabad: The Telangana Rashtra Samiti is fighting the by-election for Parakal Assembly constituency as if it will become extinct if it does not win the seat.
The BJP is giving the TRS a run for its money in Parakal after having made the latter bite the dust in the by-election in Mahbubnagar in March this year.
The BJP is confident that the Mahbubnagar result will be repeated in Parakal but the TRS is bent on preventing it as a defeat will threaten its existence as the sole torch-bearer of the statehood movement.
Observers feel that the BJP has gained a lot of ground in Parakal over the last few days causing a significant dent in TRS` prospects.
That almost all the top leadership of the party has been camping in Parakal for the past many days and closely managing the campaign reflects the TRS` nervousness.
Parakal is the lone constituency in Telangana region facing by-election on June 12 out of the 18 Assembly segments in Andhra Pradesh.
Though the ruling Congress and the main opposition Telugu Desam Party too are in the fray in Parakal, the fight is essentially between TRS, BJP and YSR Congress.
For the YSRC this is the first electoral test in Telanagana where it is yet to make a mark, unlike in Andhra-Rayalaseema regions where it is emerging as a formidable political force.
Incumbent Konda Surekha was disqualified as member of the Assembly in March for voting against the Congress on the no-confidence motion in December last, necessitating the by-poll.
Surekha, one of the staunch supporters of YSRC president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, however claimed that she "sacrificed" her post for the sake of Telangana but no One is ready to buy it.
As such, Surekha is facing an uphill task on her home turf as every election in Telangana region has been fought and won only on the statehood "sentiment" in recent years.
The TRS benefited heavily from this and won all the by-elections in Telangana since 2010 till the BJP gave it a shock in Mahbubnagar.
Things are not that rosy for the TRS in Parakal this time as the BJP is able to convince people of the region that only a national party could deliver a separate state and not a regional outfit.
As the current trends indicate, the "Jagan sentiment" may not work in Parakal, making the task more tough for Surekha.
Now, she is pinning hopes on the caste equations in the constituency to romp home but the Telangana factor could be the biggest dampener for her.
The fight between BJP and TRS has left the other pro-Telangana forces divided on their support.
The so-called Joint Action Committee that exists more on paper has pledged its support to TRS while a major section of employees is rallying behind BJP.
G Kishan Reddy, BJP state president, says his party was "racing ahead" in Parakal.
"I am confident of a win.Palamur (Mahbubnagar) result will repeat in Parakal," Kishan said, adding that regional parties could not achieve statehood for Telangana.
TRS K Chandrasekhar Rao is employing old tricks to woo voters.
"I have concrete information that Sonia Gandhi will grant Telangana in three months. So vote for TRS," he tells people.
Unfortunately for him, nobody is taking his claims seriously going by his similar utterances in the past.There is nothing about Congress and TDP as far as Parakal is concerned, except that they are fighting for the fourth and fifth places in the by-poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM