TRS to fight assembly and LS polls alone, says party chief
Hyderabad: Telangana Rashtra Samithi would fight the Andhra Pradesh assembly elections and the Lok Sabha polls next year alone, party president K Chandrasekhar Rao said on Friday.
"TRS polit bureau today resolved to face the ensuing elections without having alliance with any party. After elections, we will move strategically to achieve separate Telangana," he told reporters here.
He said the candidates for elections would be finalised next month in consultation with a panel of party leaders.
He expressed confidence that TRS would win at least "minimum 15" Lok Sabha seats in the general elections.
TRS had contested the last general elections in a `grand alliance` with TDP and others.
TRS would organise its 12th formation day anniversary on April 27 at Armoor in Nizamabad district, which would be attended by delegates from the 10 Telangana districts.
Hitting out at Congress, he said, "Three generations of Congress leaders -- Pandit Nehru, Indira Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi -- have acted against the interests of Telangana."
"Nehru merged Telangana with the rest of present day Andhra Pradesh against the recommendations of Fazal Ali commission on states` reorganisation, while Indira Gandhi got Telangana youth killed (in 1969)," he alleged.
"Congress president Sonia Gandhi has made life difficult for Telangana people by not accepting the separate statehood demand though a promise had been made," the TRS president further alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters