Twelve people drown in Andhra, one still missing
Hyderabad: Twelve people, including six children and five women, were killed when the vehicle in which they were travelling was washed away in a stream in Andhra Pradesh`s Guntur district, police said Wednesday. One person is still missing.
The tragedy occurred late Tuesday when a Tata Sumo vehicle carrying 16 people was caught in the swirling waters of the stream and overturned.
Rescue workers recovered 12 bodies from Malledavagu stream at Pittambanda village near Vinukonda Wednesday morning, some 300 km from here, a police officer said.
Eyewitnesses said the driver was warned against crossing the stream, swollen after the incessant rains of the past few days, but he ignored the warnings.
Locals later rescued the driver Anil and two others.
Hailing from Addanki in Prakasam district, the victims were returning home after attending a village festival at Karampudi.
Search operations for the remaining person is still on, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people