Twelve people drown in Andhra, one still missing
Hyderabad: Twelve people, including six children and five women, were killed when the vehicle in which they were travelling was washed away in a stream in Andhra Pradesh`s Guntur district, police said Wednesday. One person is still missing.
The tragedy occurred late Tuesday when a Tata Sumo vehicle carrying 16 people was caught in the swirling waters of the stream and overturned.
Rescue workers recovered 12 bodies from Malledavagu stream at Pittambanda village near Vinukonda Wednesday morning, some 300 km from here, a police officer said.
Eyewitnesses said the driver was warned against crossing the stream, swollen after the incessant rains of the past few days, but he ignored the warnings.
Locals later rescued the driver Anil and two others.
Hailing from Addanki in Prakasam district, the victims were returning home after attending a village festival at Karampudi.
Search operations for the remaining person is still on, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?