Twelve people drown in Andhra, one still missing
Hyderabad: Twelve people, including six children and five women, were killed when the vehicle in which they were travelling was washed away in a stream in Andhra Pradesh`s Guntur district, police said Wednesday. One person is still missing.
The tragedy occurred late Tuesday when a Tata Sumo vehicle carrying 16 people was caught in the swirling waters of the stream and overturned.
Rescue workers recovered 12 bodies from Malledavagu stream at Pittambanda village near Vinukonda Wednesday morning, some 300 km from here, a police officer said.
Eyewitnesses said the driver was warned against crossing the stream, swollen after the incessant rains of the past few days, but he ignored the warnings.
Locals later rescued the driver Anil and two others.
Hailing from Addanki in Prakasam district, the victims were returning home after attending a village festival at Karampudi.
Search operations for the remaining person is still on, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?