Twenty bodies identified in Andhra Pradesh train tragedy
Bangalore: A day after 26 people were charred to death in a devastating fire in a train near Puttaparthy in Andhra Pradesh, as many as 20 bodies were identified and eight of them have been handed over to relatives.
"The bodies of 20 people, who were charred to death in a devastating fire in Bangalore-Nanded Express train, have been identified. Of the 20 bodies identified, eight have been handed over to relatives," Railways Commercial Manager Ramesh said.
The unidentified bodies have been sent for DNA test, Ramesh said. "These tests take a minimum of 48 hours or more, depending upon doctors. We request the families of the deceased to come forward for identifying the bodies charred in the train mishap," he said.
The bodies were brought to government-run Victoria Hospital here yesterday evening. Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge had announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased, Rs 1 lakh for grievous injuries and Rs 50,000 for simple injuries.
This was the second train mishap in Anantapur district after last year`s train tragedy in March in which 25 passengers were killed near Penukonda when the Bangalore-bound Hampi Express rammed into a stationary goods train after the driver apparently overshot the signal near the station.
A devastating fire had ripped through an AC coach of the Bangalore-Nanded Express train, charring to death 26 people, including two children, in sleep and leaving 13 others injured yesterday near Puttaparthy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days