Twenty held for gambling over cockfight; roosters, cash seized in AP
Visakhapatnam: At least 20 people were arrested after police busted a cockfighting and betting operation here and nine roosters were recovered from them.
Acting on a tip off, city Task Force Police Inspector G V Ramana raided a place in Kodipandala Dibba near King George Hospital here last evening and caught the accused placing bets on the roosters.
They were arrested for cruelty on animals and were charged under AP Gaming Act of 1974, he said.
Also, nine roosters as well as Rs 60,520 in cash was seized from them.
The arrested accused who used to hold such bloody fights and gamble over the winning cock, will be produced before court later in the day.
Cockfighting is a illegal blood sport wherein bets are placed on two roosters, which fight each other to death in a ring much to the amusement of the onlookers.
This barbaric practise, where the gamecocks suffer severe injuries is still prevalent in some parts of the country especially Tamil Nadu. It is banned in Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir