Two Andhra girls "mortgaged" for non-payment of loan rescued
Karimnagar: Two minor girls, who were "mortgaged" to a man by their parents after they were unable to repay a loan amount of Rs 34,000 taken from him, were rescued by police in Maithapur village, police said on Saturday.
Accused N Jehangir, a black-smith, allegedly sexually abused one of the girls, besides engaging both of them as labourers, they said.
Following a complaint, he was arrested yesterday and remanded to judicial custody.
The torture began after Babulal took loan of Rs 34,000 from Jehangir, who is a distant relative, about six months ago. However, finding it difficult to repay the amount he kept his two daughters aged 14 and 5 years, with the accused as "security" a few months ago, police said quoting the complaint.
Jehangir, who visits nearby villages as part of his work took the two girls with him and allegedly employed them as labourers. Besides, he allegedly sexually abused the 14-year-old girl, they said.
Some villagers, who noticed the girls engaged as labourers, alerted the police which rescued them.
Jehangir was booked under sections 342 (wrongful confinement) and 354 (criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) of IPC, besides under relevant sections of Bonded Labour Abolition Act, Raikal Sub-Inspector Koteshwar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok