Two arrested for Hyderabad gold robbery
Hyderabad: Hyderabad police Wednesday arrested two people and recovered one kilogram gold a few hours after two Mumbai brothers were robbed of five kilograms of gold, police said.
Both the accused are also from Mumbai while the police are still on the lookout for the third accused and four kilograms of gold, police sources said.
Three youngsters on a motorcycle attacked two jewellers Tuesday night and snatched a bag containing gold ornaments weighing five kilograms at Gunfoundry area in Abids, a major commercial centre here.
As the jewellers, Rakesh and Sonu, were waiting for an autorickshaw after coming out of a jewellery shop, three robbers allegedly attacked them.
One of them attacked Rakesh with a knife, inflicting injuries while the others snatched a bag from his brother Sonu.
The robbers sped away, police said.
Hyderabad Police Commissioner A.K. Khan told reporters that the two merchants were going to different shops in the city to sell the ornaments.
This was the second robbery in the busy Abids area after a jeweller was robbed of two kilograms gold ornaments in broad daylight in front of Abids police station May 20.
Taking a serious note of the robberies, the police commissioner Tuesday night suspended Abids police inspector K. Shiva Kumar and issued a charge memo to Abids Assistant Commissioner of Police P.V.G.Vijay Kumar for alleged negligence in discharge of duties.
Meanwhile, during the overnight raids, police recovered eight kilograms gold from a hotel in Ameerpet area and arrested one person. Police were questioning him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened