Two fasting TDP leaders shifted to hospital
Vijaywada: TDP legislator D Umamaheswara
Rao and another party leader, who are on an indefinite fast in
support of a unified Andhra Pradesh, were on Thursday forcibly
shifted to a hospital by the police here amidst high drama.
As soon as the police arrived on the spot, the MLA and
another TDP leader B Umamaheswara Rao, who have been fasting
for last five days, went inside a guest house this morning.
The police move to end the fast was resisted by a
large number of TDP leaders and activists, who gathered at the
place and high drama was witnessed as the two leaders locked
themselves inside the guest house and refused to come out.
However, police broke open the doors and shifted the
fasting leaders to the government general hospital in
Police baton-charged the slogan-shouting TDP workers
and united Andhra Pradesh supporters at the guesthouse.
The TDP MLA, however, asserted that he would continue
his fast-unto-death in the hospital.
Protesting the police action, supporters of the TDP
MLA called for a shut down at Nandigama assembly constituency
represented by him.
Several government and private offices and banks
remained closed in Vijayawada.
Earlier, police shifted another TDP MLA Ch
Ramakotaiah, who also fasting, to hospital following which he
called off his hunger strike last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!