Two held with 5 kg gold at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: Over 5 kg gold which was allegedly being smuggled via the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad here was Wednesday seized by Customs officials and two passengers arrested in connection.
"The Air Intelligence Wing of Customs stopped some women passengers after their arrival by a flight from Jeddah but two male passengers, namely
Rahman and Mustafa intervened saying they were tourists. However, based on suspicion, the two male passengers were questioned and as many as 48 gold bangles besides 3 bars (collectively weighing) 5.3 kg were seized from them," a senior Customs official told PTI.
"One Amin, who is the main accused had given the gold bangles to 10 women passengers at Jeddah saying it was for his sister`s marriage in Hyderabad. On behalf of Amin, handlers Rahman and Mustafa were bringing the yellow metal for smuggling," the official said.
The women passengers, aged between 70-80 years, were unaware about this racket. Rahman and Mustafa, who had collected the gold from them immediately after the flight arrived at RGIA airport, have been arrested, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- High alert across LoC after terror attacks in Srinagar, manhunt on for Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militants
- ISRO's RLV-TD launch: Why it matters to India!
- Meet Priyanka Chopra's 'woman crush'! You will love her for sure
- Watch – 'Hillary Clinton lying for 13 minutes straight'
- Another blockbuster? Salman Khan's next with Kabir Khan based on human drama!