Two held with 5 kg gold at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: Over 5 kg gold which was allegedly being smuggled via the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad here was Wednesday seized by Customs officials and two passengers arrested in connection.
"The Air Intelligence Wing of Customs stopped some women passengers after their arrival by a flight from Jeddah but two male passengers, namely
Rahman and Mustafa intervened saying they were tourists. However, based on suspicion, the two male passengers were questioned and as many as 48 gold bangles besides 3 bars (collectively weighing) 5.3 kg were seized from them," a senior Customs official told PTI.
"One Amin, who is the main accused had given the gold bangles to 10 women passengers at Jeddah saying it was for his sister`s marriage in Hyderabad. On behalf of Amin, handlers Rahman and Mustafa were bringing the yellow metal for smuggling," the official said.
The women passengers, aged between 70-80 years, were unaware about this racket. Rahman and Mustafa, who had collected the gold from them immediately after the flight arrived at RGIA airport, have been arrested, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez