Two held with 5 kg gold at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: Over 5 kg gold which was allegedly being smuggled via the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad here was Wednesday seized by Customs officials and two passengers arrested in connection.
"The Air Intelligence Wing of Customs stopped some women passengers after their arrival by a flight from Jeddah but two male passengers, namely
Rahman and Mustafa intervened saying they were tourists. However, based on suspicion, the two male passengers were questioned and as many as 48 gold bangles besides 3 bars (collectively weighing) 5.3 kg were seized from them," a senior Customs official told PTI.
"One Amin, who is the main accused had given the gold bangles to 10 women passengers at Jeddah saying it was for his sister`s marriage in Hyderabad. On behalf of Amin, handlers Rahman and Mustafa were bringing the yellow metal for smuggling," the official said.
The women passengers, aged between 70-80 years, were unaware about this racket. Rahman and Mustafa, who had collected the gold from them immediately after the flight arrived at RGIA airport, have been arrested, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan