Two held with 5 kg gold at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: Over 5 kg gold which was allegedly being smuggled via the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad here was Wednesday seized by Customs officials and two passengers arrested in connection.
"The Air Intelligence Wing of Customs stopped some women passengers after their arrival by a flight from Jeddah but two male passengers, namely
Rahman and Mustafa intervened saying they were tourists. However, based on suspicion, the two male passengers were questioned and as many as 48 gold bangles besides 3 bars (collectively weighing) 5.3 kg were seized from them," a senior Customs official told PTI.
"One Amin, who is the main accused had given the gold bangles to 10 women passengers at Jeddah saying it was for his sister`s marriage in Hyderabad. On behalf of Amin, handlers Rahman and Mustafa were bringing the yellow metal for smuggling," the official said.
The women passengers, aged between 70-80 years, were unaware about this racket. Rahman and Mustafa, who had collected the gold from them immediately after the flight arrived at RGIA airport, have been arrested, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city