Two held with 5 kg gold at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: Over 5 kg gold which was allegedly being smuggled via the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad here was Wednesday seized by Customs officials and two passengers arrested in connection.
"The Air Intelligence Wing of Customs stopped some women passengers after their arrival by a flight from Jeddah but two male passengers, namely
Rahman and Mustafa intervened saying they were tourists. However, based on suspicion, the two male passengers were questioned and as many as 48 gold bangles besides 3 bars (collectively weighing) 5.3 kg were seized from them," a senior Customs official told PTI.
"One Amin, who is the main accused had given the gold bangles to 10 women passengers at Jeddah saying it was for his sister`s marriage in Hyderabad. On behalf of Amin, handlers Rahman and Mustafa were bringing the yellow metal for smuggling," the official said.
The women passengers, aged between 70-80 years, were unaware about this racket. Rahman and Mustafa, who had collected the gold from them immediately after the flight arrived at RGIA airport, have been arrested, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price